Eventually, every roofing system reaches a point where repairs are no longer possible or cost-efficient. When that happens, it's time to consider a re-roofing project. For over 30 years, Magnum Roofing Systems has specialized in commercial and industrial re-roofing applications and have been trusted by thousands of businesses for their re-roofing projects.
Complete Roof Replacement
Also referred to as a “tear-off”, a Replacement System starts by removing all of the existing roofing materials to the top surface of the structural roof deck. Although there is certainly a cost associated with a “tear-off”, this roof system provides you the longest projected service life.
You have the advantages of being able to inspect and make any repairs needed to the structural roof deck and avoid any possible negative impact upon the new materials that may be associated with leaving a deteriorating existing roof deck in place.
A Replacement System is Necessary If:
- There are two (or more) roofs on the building.
- The existing roofing system has moisture trapped within the assembly covering 30% or more of total roof area. To obtain this information, we can perform an Infrared Scan to locate and quantify exactly where the moisture is located within the roofing system and how much of the roof area is compromised so that an informed decision can be made.
- The existing roof does not present a viable substrate for the application of a second roof.
- The structural roof deck shows signs of decay or cannot support an additional system.
Retrofit Re-Roofing Systems
A Retrofit System is one where a second roof is installed on top of an existing one and can be an excellent cost-saving alternative to a full replacement. There are a few key criterion that need to be addressed in the design of a successful long-term recovery system.
Qualities of a Recovery Candidate:
- The existing roofing system has been maintained properly and is still within its manufacturer defined expected service life.
- Roof leaks have been minor or have been in isolated areas.
- The structural roof deck can accommodate the additional dead-load weight.
- The structural roof deck will provide an acceptable “pull-out” rating for retrofit fasteners or adhesives per your zone’s recommended wind uplift requirements.
- There are already two (or more) roofs on the building.
- The existing roofing system has moisture trapped within the assembly covering 30% or more of total roof area.